Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screen calibration and glasses
I've been calibrating my screen for years but now... I found that my new glasses aren't perfectly neutral (to be more precise, my everyday glasses cast a slight warm tone, while those for reading a cold tone, but I don't use the latter when I'm at the computer).
How this should be taken into consideration? I mean, the simplest thing would be removing the glasses when doing the white balance, but in this way I can't see the photo sharply — it's annoying not to be able to see the final look of the photo on the whole.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(11-28-2022, 09:42 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: I've been calibrating my screen for years but now... I found that my new glasses aren't perfectly neutral (to be more precise, my everyday glasses cast a slight warm tone, while those for reading a cold tone, but I don't use the latter when I'm at the computer).
How this should be taken into consideration? I mean, the simplest thing would be removing the glasses when doing the white balance, but in this way I can't see the photo sharply — it's annoying not to be able to see the final look of the photo on the whole.

What are you using to calibrate the  screen ? if you are doing it via a hardware device it's not an issue,  even if the glasses have a slight color  cast, the lighting in the room can also change our perception of color, even the wall colors have an effect, to decrease this a screen hood is useful.
If you are not using a hood and you don't have a problem then the glasses color cast  issue should  be totally negligible.
In Lebanon I do my editing in a room with blue walls, the colors on screen are okay but on paper when looking at them they seem totally off... I take the photos  to another room to verify color accuracy.
I'm using an X-rite device and the profile has been created with the room in semi-darkness to avoid the problem you talked about.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(11-29-2022, 09:45 AM)stoppingdown Wrote: I'm using an X-rite device and the profile has been created with the room in semi-darkness to avoid the problem you talked about.

In that case, the colour cast of your glasses make no difference, other than for your own perception.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I also have similar problem. problem is to remove the glasses when doing white balance, but this way I can't see the image clearly. How do I solve it?