Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
screen calibration and miracast doable ?
Hi,

I am considering working on a large screen, however I don't want to use HDMI cable

I can project via miracast, but I need the screen to have accurate calibrated colors, is it doable ? how ?

Given that nobody answered so far... I'm trying to contribute, even though I'm probably saying trivial stuff or nonsense. In the end, isn't it the same? I mean, both HDMI and miracast transfer frame buffer data digitally to the screen... So I suppose that calibration is performed as usual. Am I missing something?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I think you're both right!

I am connecting my laptop to a larger screen using HDMI.  The colors look drastically different on the two screens.  My laptop has a much cooler color palette.  The menu bar looks neutral gray.  white is a cool white.  Dialogue boxes are a slightly blue grey.  On the large screen the is a much warmer color palette. Greys look more brown, or red.   Since I don't adjust photos on the large screen, I don't care that there is a difference.  It did used to bug me when I did.

I could be totally wrong, but hopefully someone can correct me.  I think sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is sort of the default digital color scheme that devices use for storing color space data.  I think when you send to your big screen, color is sent in that color space and then the screen converts it internally to something that it can reproduce.  I think your computer probably uses a specific profile designed for your computer screen.  I think two different screens types will always look different because of their intrinsic color gamut characteristics.  But big screens often have all sorts of "modes" like:  Vivid, Movie, Sports, Low (ambient) Light...and if one just says sRGB or Normal that is probably the truest.

My impression is that calibration was more critical for CRT's than flat screens, but I'm curious what others think.