Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon filing more lawsuits ...for batteries this time
https://petapixel.com/2023/05/11/amazon-...erfeiters/

they want you to buy nothing but from them......
(05-12-2023, 07:31 AM)toni-a Wrote: https://petapixel.com/2023/05/11/amazon-...erfeiters/

they want you to buy nothing but from them......

To be fair Toni ...... this is about "fake products bearing the Canpn company name" ...... which is fraud  ......  duping the public into thinking they are buying genuine Canon products which they are not !...... 
   as far as I am aware this does not prevent legitimate third party battery manufacturers from selling their own batteries under their own brand or other named brands ..... there is no deception in that case.

Much as I dislike Canon's banning policy against third party lens producers selling their lenses in the Canon RF mount ...... this a different kettle of fish altogether ...... the first is about protecting the public from scams..... the second is about not licencing the R mount to be bloody minded ... Wink
Most Li-Ion batteries have cells inside them that looks like AA or AAA batteries, Logically Camera manufacturers make the shell then put those batteries inside.
Those batteries are dirt cheap, they look like this
So instead of bying new BP511 batteries to replace the aging ones I have, bought a pack of those and put 2 inside each battery, it went to function as new !!!
(05-12-2023, 01:48 PM)toni-a Wrote: Most  Li-Ion batteries have cells inside them that looks like AA or AAA batteries, Logically Camera manufacturers make the shell then put those batteries inside.
Those batteries are dirt cheap, they look like this
So instead of buying new BP511 batteries to replace the aging ones I have, bought a pack of those and put 2 inside  each battery, it went to function as new !!!

My experience is they are not the same cells apart from their size,voltage and rated capacity which they rarely achieve, they are not the same quality and usually do not have the same life expectancy as OEM versions. 
 Canon, Nikon,Sony etc have very stringent specifications about the cells have manufactured for them  ..... I've proved this many times where I've bought TPM Nikon equivalent batteries to save money, they just didn't last, whereas all my Nikon ones are still going with no failures to date. 
 Just to add to that my ebike came with a 48V Li battery and still works after 6 years, I bought a spare "no make" version which lasted for 15 months ..... I now only buy ebike batteries from Germany which use the Samsung 35E cells, the batteries are €450 each ..... they use same cells that Tesla used to use in their earlier electric cars.
 Btw, cheap cells often produce gas which trips a pressure switch under the positive terminal and they go open circuit ...... you can depressurize them using a watch screwdriver but it doesn't last long before it gasses again .......
For EOSRP I have four OEM batteries and one chinese brand: all exactly the same.
For 7D2 I have nothing but chinese batteries: they last like forever...

BTW the GPS on David-a TG5 always on drains the battery, I need spare batteries for it, anyone knows where I can get affordable li92B compatible batteries that ship to Qatar ?? found on aliexpress but shipping takes 2 months...
(05-12-2023, 09:45 PM)toni-a Wrote: For EOSRP I have four OEM batteries and one chinese brand: all exactly the same.
For 7D2 I have nothing but chinese batteries: they last like forever...

BTW the GPS on David-a TG5 always on drains the battery, I need spare batteries for it, anyone knows where I can get affordable li92B compatible batteries that ship to Qatar ?? found on aliexpress but shipping takes 2 months...

Like forever?
 Well they should be handy for shooting in the afterlife ..... Smile

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.fr/Otech-Batterie-Com...136&sr=1-1