• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor Z 180-600mm and 70-180 announced
Unbelievable - it finally exists ...
https://www.nikon.com.au/nikkor-z-180-600mm-f5-6-6-3-vr

And another rebadged Tamron
https://www.nikon.com.au/nikkor-z-70-180mm-f2-8
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
This 180-600mm zoom was the missing link for Nikon and will be a mega winner at it's price point of $1,695 ..... I'm actually shocked, I thought it would be perhaps a tad above $2,000 ...... quite exceptional !
Quite interesting that Nikon and Sony have almost identical specs for these lenses, whereas Canon offers a slower, shorter and more expensive 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1.

The thing that is noticeably missing is the "S" in the lens name, though. Makes me wonder why. The MTFs should be good enough for an S.

Very good news, indeed.
Also, the rebadged Tamron 70-180 f2.8 is surprisingly affordable, almost the same price as the Tamron for Sony (in the US at least : $1250 vs $1200).
Furthermore, Nikon managed to make it lighter than the Tamron version.
The Z system is starting to become quite attractive.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
For the 180-600 I guess the speed of the STM motor will be crucial, what's the point of such a lens if it's slow to focus=useless for birding and wildlife photography...hopefully Nikon didn't put a lousy slow autofocus motor...
(06-21-2023, 08:42 PM)toni-a Wrote: For the 180-600 I guess the  speed of the STM motor will be crucial, what's the point of such a lens if it's slow to focus=useless for birding and wildlife photography...hopefully Nikon didn't put a lousy slow autofocus motor...

they didn't ...... it's a stepping motor ...... and pretty fast.
(06-22-2023, 05:21 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(06-21-2023, 08:42 PM)toni-a Wrote: For the 180-600 I guess the  speed of the STM motor will be crucial, what's the point of such a lens if it's slow to focus=useless for birding and wildlife photography...hopefully Nikon didn't put a lousy slow autofocus motor...

they didn't ...... it's a stepping motor ...... and pretty fast.

my Canon 80mmf2.0 has a stepping motor too... and it's not fast, if the Nikkor 180-600 has the same speed, it's useless for birding...
I suggest you look at the utube reviews (like the one linked below) from those who have already used the lens in the field in the form of pre-production models and see how it actually performs before jumping to wild conclusions ...... see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEmBkZsF5VE

Steve Perry's glowing pre-review of the lens
How many non-glowing YT Reviews are out there? ;-) Especially from those who are receiving gear pre-release and being Nikon ambassadors.

However, I'm sure that it is a winner.

Just like with the Sony 200-600mm, the biggest question mark is probably long-term durability. 25 elements are A LOT ...

(06-23-2023, 12:02 AM)Klaus Wrote: How many non-glowing YT Reviews are out there? ;-) Especially from those who are receiving gear pre-release ...

However, I'm sure that it is a winner.

That wasn't the question ..... AF performance was ..... of course an unbiased review from you Klaus would be more than welcome ..... that way we would all know ... Smile