Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with Portrait Mode in Canon’s EOS R3
Hey Community,

Recently, I purchased a Canon EOS R3. I was exploring its all new features like auto focus, 4k videography, dynamic zoon in and zoom out, night mode and many more. I am obsessed with its capability to capture fast moving objects in pin sharp focus.
But suddenly I have faced an issue with the portrait mode on my Canon EOS R3 that's been causing some frustration. 

When shooting in portrait mode, I'm experiencing exposure problem in Sun Light. As I clicked a picture then it blur the subject. 

I have gone through this https://forum.opticallimits.com/cpq training/showthread.php?tid=5054 but couldn't find my problem. I am not a professional photographer so please has anyone else experienced this, and do you have any suggestions or solutions to resolve it? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for you guidance!

(James)
Thanks
James Millere
(04-18-2024, 05:07 AM)jamesmillere Wrote: Hey Community,

Recently, I purchased a Canon EOS R3. I was exploring its all new features like auto focus, 4k videography, dynamic zoon in and zoom out, night mode and many more. I am obsessed with its capability to capture fast moving objects in pin sharp focus.
But suddenly I have faced an issue with the portrait mode on my Canon EOS R3 that's been causing some frustration. 

When shooting in portrait mode, I'm experiencing exposure problem in Sun Light. As I clicked a picture then it blur the subject. 

I have gone through this https://forum.opticallimits.com/cpq training/showthread.php?tid=5054 but couldn't find my problem. I am not a professional photographer so please has anyone else experienced this, and do you have any suggestions or solutions to resolve it? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for you guidance!

(James)

Hello,

Usually these forums are more about the technical side of photography and gear.
Your best bet is probably to post on dpreview in the EOS-R forum here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1070
--Florent

Flickr gallery
This generally is a problem with any camera. A bright light source somewhere in the image will always result in overexposure, even if it is not completely visible.

Since we are in the digital age with cameras, there really is a simple solution: adjust exposure with the exposure compensation settings, by underexposing probably in the range of - 1 1/2 to -2 stops, although it really is a matter of trial and error.

Alternatively, you could use spot metering, for the particular area you want the exposure to be correct, and hold that exposure by keeping the shutter button half-pressed.

Finally, you could also try HDR, high dynamic range, but that requires several shots at different exposures, say 3 stops apart, and combining those shots in a clever way. That is quite a bit more complex, however, and very likely also requires a tripod to keep the exact same view for the images to be taken that way.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....