•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuji GFX 50 S medium format
It all comes back to the fact that FF is just another sensor format among many others with its specific pros and cons and it is by no means superior by definition. It is a personal decision whether FF is the place to be or not. 

So far there was a general snobbishness surrounding FF and it's good to see that some of that will dissolve now.

http://team-studer.net/wp-content/upload...g-fish.png

Yet, all these fishes have their ecosystems.

[Image: 200w.gif]

Bigger is better.

:lol:

Quote:It all comes back to the fact that FF is just another sensor format among many others with its specific pros and cons and it is by no means superior by definition. It is a personal decision whether FF is the place to be or not. 

So far there was a general snobbishness surrounding FF and it's good to see that some of that will dissolve now.

Yet, all these fishes have their ecosystems.
Yeah, if only it had dawned upon some people sooner, so that they would stop going batshit crazy waging format wars...  Wink I've seen my share of that in every photo forum and site comments I've been visiting.

It's just another playroom, no longer only APS-C and FF with all the equivalence blurb, but now also MF, although the persons who need and buy if don't care a bit about equivalencing - they just know why they buy it.  Big Grin

Quote:It's just another playroom, no longer only APS-C and FF with all the equivalence blurb, but now also MF, although the persons who need and buy if don't care a bit about equivalencing - they just know why they buy it.  Big Grin
That's not over yet because the medium formats we have have already crop
Quote:So far there was a general snobbishness surrounding FF and it's good to see that some of that will dissolve now.

It has been lovely seeing butthurt comments saying FF is big enough and there are more lenses and lenses are faster on FF anyway and the price difference is too much and you can get a similar resolution on FF anyway. Simply lovely.
I don't recall we ever had a discussion that long about MF here. I think mostly because these instriments are out of reach for us normal mortals.

In that aspect both Fuji and Hasselblad could open a new round of snobbishness. I'm not the only one with some lenses and bodies to be exchanged for one body and two or three lenses. There was a massive hype of FF and I was also part of it - until the day I compared Otus and D810 to Sigma APS-C Foveon. From then on, I saw FF as not as great. Especially after I heard the comment of the rental guy when I brought back the Otus and he meant with soem snobbishness, there's always internal sharpening at these small cameras. Meaning "you're talking crap, Otus is the high-end and basta. Although I don't know what this Sigma thing is"  Big Grin

Quote:I don't recall we ever had a discussion that long about MF here. I think mostly because these instriments are out of reach for us normal mortals.

In that aspect both Fuji and Hasselblad could open a new round of snobbishness. I'm not the only one with some lenses and bodies to be exchanged for one body and two or three lenses. There was a massive hype of FF and I was also part of it - until the day I compared Otus and D810 to Sigma APS-C Foveon. From then on, I saw FF as not as great. Especially after I heard the comment of the rental guy when I brought back the Otus and he meant with soem snobbishness, there's always internal sharpening at these small cameras. Meaning "you're talking crap, Otus is the high-end and basta. Although I don't know what this Sigma thing is"  Big Grin

Well, the image quality would be a little better if Sigma released a full format Foveon sensor. 
Skip that compromise. 6×6 cm, then we're talking again.  B)

Oh and btw.: Last Saturday I had the opportunity to talk to a Fujifilm.ch representative. On eof his sentences was, Fuji purposefully presnented only a working prototype and is now studying the reactions of the possible customers, which will go in the final version, reading the blogs and Facebook stuff and what else.

I'm not certain it's a smart move, meanwhile Hasselblad came with a ready to sell product which is also very nice, even the first comments already talk about warmth at Hasselblad while the Fuji stays cooler.

We'll see. In terms of playing with thin focus planes, MF is not there where FF already is. But maybe this is after all the only real reason to have FF?

Quote:Well, the image quality would be a little better if Sigma released a full format Foveon sensor. 
Only a little better, you still have that enormous light loss because of the 3 layers. Which makes for very limited DR and poor higher ISO noise.

•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next