Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the influence of marketing and brand name a fogotten feature becomes a hit
Maybe I am one of the rare still loyal windows phone users, (and quite a happy camper since I still find it the best combo around)

Iphone 7 now has RAW and everyone is talking about it, yet several years ago lumia 1020 had the best sensor a mobile phone on the market had with RAW and almost nobody cared... now Apple is "innovating" with RAW.

It's not the first time we see "innovations" in the iworld thathave became quite common  in other worlds.

Impressive What  a good marketing and a good brand image can do..

What you might find difficult to understand, Toni: Nokia's interface always sucked, usability was by far not up to Apple's standards - and people tend to want to use a simple device, life is complicated enough. There's still the strength of Apple although we all know, they are not innovative anymore since Steve died. They chew his ideas and became cowards, only good enough to increase RAM and processor specs, but nothing more.

And what you also don't get, Toni, is what Microsoft, Samsung and Google copied form Apple. Or was there a usable smartphone before the iPhone? By "usable" I mean people between 5 and 100 can use it without studying a manual. You windows-only-users always think, things can only be done in the clumsy windowas way  Tongue wrong you were, wrong you are...

It's not the hardware only, which is overly expensive, it's also connectivity, integration and elegant simplicity. I hate to defend Apple, but more I hate to read posts from people about Apple who have no single clue what's the core experience.

Makes me think of a commercial success that I couldn't understand till now: 7UP

first the name: Drink Nice Lemon DNL was printed upside down by error and here came the name L-->7 n-->u -->d---p

they wanted a product that was the opposite of energizing Coca drink. they put lithium carbonate.

Lithium carbonate was banned later on for very serious health hazards, yet the product was a commercial success, go explain
you mean "Fizzy Bubbelech"?

Big Grin

What the naming of a softdrink by shaking some typos has to do with an iPhone - I don't have enough braincells to understand.

Quote:you mean "Fizzy Bubbelech"?

Big Grin

What the naming of a softdrink by shaking some typos has to do with an iPhone - I don't have enough braincells to understand.
What I meant is that was product, that didn't have reasons to succeed (by my logic) yet it did, so very likely there's something I don't understand 
Well, a softdrink is a little bit less complex than a smartphone, including app-store, including OS, including connectivity to the "big OS" , to iTunes even on Windows.

Why do you think, normal Windows users prefer (if they do) an iOS device with all known downsides against existing and cheap and brainless windows phones.

Quote: 

It's not the hardware only, which is overly expensive, it's also connectivity, integration and elegant simplicity. I hate to defend Apple, but more I hate to read posts from people about Apple who have no single clue what's the core experience.

With some differences, I second this point. When Apple announced the iPhone, they said they invented the smartphone. It was a false assertion, since there were already the previous generation smartphones. But they transformed it with its user interface and design.

However, toni-a has a point, because marketing really plays a relevant role. Much of that usability is rather "coolness", elegance of design, not really something that you need. 

BTW, there's also a pernicious trend. They are constantly removing things from the shell of their products, which is a design trend, but now it's clashing with usability. For instance, my latest laptop misses the small LEDs which indicated the battery charge, and it's a feature that I found useful. The Disk Utility of Mac OS X has become an almost useless tool: less features, they're hiding the fact that some hidden partitions are always created (and I might want to delete them), and also less functional (for some reason it's completely unable to unmount and check one of my volumes, so I have to use the command line).

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Toni only knows Windows and likes his Windows phone. People who have experience with other phone OS-es usually prefer iOS and Android

Windows Phone now is down to 1% market share. Microsoft has stopped the Lumia range development, and have sold Nokia's corpse to the same party IBM sold its laptop corpse (whats it called, Lenovo?). 

Microsoft will now start a 5th time (Windows Mobile, Windows 7 "mobile", Windows 8 "mobile", the current Windows Phone) with Windows Surface Phone.

And they never "get" it.

stoppingdown, I agree with you that Apple's constantly cutting away functions which are these days as useful as they were - but this is what they do for decades now. Actually I don't know what I could do, if my iMac bites the dust. But whenever I think about "Windows?" or "Linux????" I decide to decide when I have to decide. Which is not now. So, I'd love to have a real alternative, but I cannot help to say others are even worse.

However, my urge of having the latest gimmick decreased after 2 iMacs, 1 Mac Mini, 1 MacBook Pro, 7 iPods and 2 iPads. The devices are still good to use and work with, but things like Spotlight, Siri, unibodies and my dear Aluminium keyboards (the one I type this with is 9 years old now...) nobody was smart enough to invent before Apple did. But now the mills of minds stand still and are handed over to bean counters again.

I'm not so sure that people are talking about RAW in the iPhone 7.

What I am interested in however, is the dual camera that can give a faux bokeh look.

It's only a matter of time now that software is going to able to give very decent background blur whilst keeping faces in focus.

I think the Pat Cash shot on Dpreview is this feature Apple is talking about.

Maybe this is something that Apple can claim is theirs. Maybe also this two cameras in one phone.