Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another little used printer goes to the dustbin!
Just a moaning post!

Honestly, the industry wonders why people are printing fewer photos, one reason maybe is that inspite of the high price of inks, the quality and reliability of printers is getting worse and worse.

I already had bought two Canon MG4500i  printers which produced decent quality prints reliably, each one lasted two or three years and were well constructed before developing the usual colour problems....but after a three years use fair enough!

My recently bought Canon MG6450 has maybe printed out thirty prints, soon after using it, it developed an intermittent no paper in tray fault which now will print nothing.

Tapping on line it seems to be awash with this common fault  across the range of their modern printers.

The quality of construction of Canon's printers have dropped to the level of not being unusable, and always after you have bought the next set of ink cartridges....

Junk!

Printing is a problem, indeed, at least for amateur photographers. I have a quite old Epson Stylus (I think the 2100). It worked fine, and I was also satisfied with the calibration. It was also reasonably cheap, considering the paper and ink costs. The problem was its slowness. That's why I've not used it for several years. It probably still works, apart the fact that I should clean the nozzles. But I can't spend the whole day attending it for a few dozen prints.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see from my country, printing services aren't cheap. After a few attempts, a couple of years ago I found a printing service that delivered quality prints (calibration ok, after a few attempts) at a reasonable price... but only on glossy paper. I don't like glossy paper, I prefer matte. They also offer matte paper (as well as a number of specialty papers), but they are too much expensive (10x roughly in comparison with glossy).

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
No problems here, 

lab prints are cheap, the lab is very friendly and allows me to take control of the whole process, they  also have all kinds of paper I want, when I used to  print there I usually took  an appointment to have the machine free, I print myself and go back home with the prints,  actually I only print there when I have a lot of prints to do (will be printing 4 weddings, 1400 pics next week) , I just give him the photos and I trust his work. 

When I print at home I use Epson L800 : very cheap ink and with colormunki photo printer calibration I always have consistent results, had last year print nozzles clogging repaired under warranty otherwise all is fine.

IMHO having printer calibration is as important as screen calibration, unless you will always use manufacturer's paper and ink and have a new printer, just like screens I think with time a printer will need recailbration
Quote:No problems here, 

lab prints are cheap, the lab is very friendly and allows me to take control of the whole process, they  also have all kinds of paper I want, when I used to  print there I usually took  an appointment to have the machine free, I print myself and go back home with the prints,  actually I only print there when I have a lot of prints to do (will be printing 4 weddings, 1400 pics next week) , I just give him the photos and I trust his work. 

When I print at home I use Epson L800 : very cheap ink and with colormunki photo printer calibration I always have consistent results, had last year print nozzles clogging repaired under warranty otherwise all is fine.

IMHO having printer calibration is as important as screen calibration, unless you will always use manufacturer's paper and ink and have a new printer, just like screens I think with time a printer will need recailbration
 Is that the one that costs $1300? 
Epson L800 costs 400$ here and comes with 6X70ml ink bottles

Each 70 ml ink bottle for refill costs 70$ so it's quite cheap, I care more for paper price than ink price.

However colormunki photo costs locally 700$ I got it last year on offer at Amazon US for 300$, I feel it's a must, since IMHO a printer is calibrated for OEM papers and ink when it's brand new.