Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Samyang 35mm f/1.2 ED AS UMC CS
For APS-C mirrorless cameras:

http://www.samyanglensglobal.com/product...l.do?SQ=48

I'm very naive at interpreting the MTF charts, in any case I try by saying that we don't have to expect high levels of sharpness at the borders... right? But it's not what one primarily wants from such a lens. It could be interesting if there's really a good bokeh (I think one can't tell from the few sample images provided). Did they give any hint on the price?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:I'm very naive at interpreting the MTF charts, in any case I try by saying that we don't have to expect high levels of sharpness at the borders... right? But it's not what one primarily wants from such a lens. It could be interesting if there's really a good bokeh (I think one can't tell from the few sample images provided). Did they give any hint on the price?

The MTFs indicate a decent border performance for a f/1.2 lens actually
450EUR in Germany (inc 19% VAT)

If only Samyang were to include AF in their lenses...

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:If only Samyang were to include AF in their lenses...

In a few recent models (or perhaps a single one for now, I don't recall) they did. 
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
They probably decided to implement AF only in the lenses that are available solely in the E mount - read: the FE ones - because they tend to make most of their products in every applicable mount, and the electronic protocols for the EOS-M and Fuji fittings are not open-source. There is probably some kind of business logic (not understandable to me) that prevents them from releasing the lenses with AF/AE in E and µ4/3 mounts, and "dumb" for everything else.

Quote:They probably decided to implement AF only in the lenses that are available solely in the E mount - read: the FE ones - because they tend to make most of their products in every applicable mount, and the electronic protocols for the EOS-M and Fuji fittings are not open-source. There is probably some kind of business logic (not understandable to me) that prevents them from releasing the lenses with AF/AE in E and µ4/3 mounts, and "dumb" for everything else.

I know AF protocols in Nikon, Canon and Pentax cameras are proprietery (hence the common AF issues with 3rd party lenses). I assume it is the same with Sony and Fuji.

On the other hand, MFT is open.

Are you saying the Sony FE AF protocol is fully open? I'm doubtful.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:The MTFs indicate a decent border performance for a f/1.2 lens actually

Well, at least now I know that I'm still unable to understand MTFs...  Rolleyes
stoppingdown.net

Quote:I know AF protocols in Nikon, Canon and Pentax cameras are proprietery (hence the common AF issues with 3rd party lenses). I assume it is the same with Sony and Fuji.

On the other hand, MFT is open.

Are you saying the Sony FE AF protocol is fully open? I'm doubtful.
Didn't Sony release the specs (how much of them is another story) and invite everyone to the party a while ago - back when their limited lens lineup was the second most popular target for bashing after Obamacare? That was when a bunch of companies have subscribed, but most were only making "dumb" lenses that they would have still been making otherwise. That Samyang has released its first AF lenses in the E mount is a pretty good indication that the arrangement is working.

Of course, the 4/3 and Âµ4/3 mounts are a different story since they were a collaborative effort from the get go. But in both cases, the story is similar because the second tier manufacturers are for some reason reluctant to release AF lenses, even though they've been greenlighted to do so (Sigma has made 4 lenses and that was it; Tamron has made exactly one for each mount and Tokina was nowhere to be seen).