Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess the new elephant in the room.
Yes there's a new elephant in the room.... It's got a lovely trunk!

To be continued...
Must be an ant eater in the room instead, an elephant's trunk is longer than 50cm?
It's trunk is 50cms yes!

OK a baby elephant!
I hope you prepared your wive for the new family member ;-)

Quote:I hope you prepared your wive for the new family member ;-)
Wife? Wink
 The memories of my dear ex wife conjures up strong ironic connotations with my current hobby.......Birds in flight!

Now I have a baby elephant in the nest, trunk and all....God bless him! 

At least this one's not called Dumbo!

Without stabilizing ears?

He has all the accoutrements of flight in the way of flapping ears...

but there seems to be an anomaly in terms of power to weight ratio!    his taxiing however is showing promise!  
The sun is shinning and my elephant is fed up with being cooped up, so I guess I'd better take him out for a stroll!

Let's see what he will turn up with!

Well, here's the elephant!

and it must be said that it weighs about the same as one....at 3.8 Kgs.

Add to that the extra modest weight of a Nikon TC14E 1.4X tele-converter and the D750 and you have not far off of 5Kgs to lug around. I'm currently doing a lot of push ups to try and reduce my aching arms. I can shoot with it hand-held OK, it's what you do with it when you're not shooting that's the problem.

The weather was quite humid and dull which lead to me wondering how sharp the lens is as I didn't get what I was expecting..

I wondered if I had bought a "white" elephant, but took some early morning shots to find very good sharpness without the tele-converter and still remaining decent with it.

The resolution graphs shows that it's almost at it's sharpest at F4 but it remains sharp until F16, but I really don't want to know how the resolution charts would look on Canon 5DS 50Mps sensor, probably not so impressive. 

How does it compare to the Tamron you may ask?  Funnily enough after using the Nikor for a few days, I picked up the Tamron, I could "not" believe how small and dinky it was, kinda like a lens-cap  tele-zoom!  Tongue

At the same focal length stopped down to F9-11 it fares "fairly" well only, however it's greatest asset is not not having to drop by at hospital on the way home after a days shooting to have a manipulation done on a dislocated shoulder!

The Nikor's auto focus is just blisteringly fast and stays so with the teleconverter, frankly, it's in another league!  Oh and it's spot on.   No VR though.

The specular highlights have little to no onion characteristics.

I've bought the Lowepro 500AW  back-pack and I question my sanity every time I put it on, what was I thinking?

In short it's a mad lens for excessive/mad people, seriously bananas!

It's ideal for insomniacs, after a couple of hours shooting, you get home and sleep like a log!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/