Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tamron 150-600
Anyone used this lens any idea about its quality and focus since I will use it for birds.

Might be exchanging it for 24-105f4L is it a good idea ?
The VC sucks at 600mm ...

Sigma 150-600 contemporary. With new firmware very fast AF...

Big Grin

The Sigma isn't available here, I am getting this one used in good condition in exchange for 24-105f4L IS

So why asking? You were asking about 750D although you already bought it, now you're "asking" about Tamron and practically willing to give up FF (btw. giving up that old 5D is nothing wrong :lol: ) and Tamron is the only thing you can get because Sigma is not available - really, some of your questions... okay, I don't need to read them Wink

Quote:So why asking? You were asking about 750D although you already bought it, now you're "asking" about Tamron and practically willing to give up FF (btw. giving up that old 5D is nothing wrong :lol: ) and Tamron is the only thing you can get because Sigma is not available - really, some of your questions... okay, I don't need to read them Wink
didn't get the lens yet, I am still negotiating with the seller, I wanted to know if it is a decent one or no, since it has not been tested here and I don't know which other reviews to trust.

BTW got the 750D plus EFS 18-55 STM plus 70-300 plus accessories and tripod for less than 500 EUR the deal was too good to miss, wanted to resell the 750D plus kit this way I have the 70-300 for free, till I decided to keep it, so I was posting to see if it was worth keeping
Quote:didn't get the lens yet, I am still negotiating with the seller, I wanted to know if it is a decent one or no, since it has not been tested here and I don't know which other reviews to trust.

BTW got the 750D plus EFS 18-55 STM plus 70-300 plus accessories and tripod for less than 500 EUR the deal was too good to miss, wanted to resell the 750D plus kit this way I have the 70-300 for free, till I decided to keep it, so I was posting to see if it was worth keeping

Just to mention I bought the 750D less than 20 minutes after the ad was posted, the seller was surprised how quickly he sold his gear
 I waited patiently for the promised review here of the Tamron (and the Sigma Sport 150-600mm)....but to no avail...so it gives me great pleasure to give you after 10 months or so of hands on experience, my findings of the lens....

Firstly it's very hand-holdable, decently constructed and perfectly adapted to birding and nature photography...

The VC is for the most part very good and hand held shots can be taken at slow shutter speeds at shorter and medium focal lengths, but as Klaus said, towards longer focal lengths it can do more harm than good, I find when shooting a stationary subject it's OKish, but it really comes unstuck when panning, here you are unlikely to get better than 10% of sharp shots. However, it is great help on a tripod where at 600mm vibration of the camera is nicely ironed out to perfect stability.

Sharpness.....From 150-300mm it's very sharp even wide open......300-450mm F7.1-8 and up it's also very sharp....450-600mm F8 is the minimum and F9-13 gives best results...... it still does give very decent results at 600mm.......with a bit of practice.

Autofocus........For a lens in it's price range the AF is fast and more to the point "very accurate" (AFMA set at -2)  it seems to nail the focus 90-95% of the time and reacts quickly to changes....(slight caveat is black birds, it struggles when panning small birds sometimes, this I think is just a short fall F5-6.3 aperture)  

APSc bodies....the lens is tested most on the smaller sensor....where the magnification of image size tests it's sharpness. 

Full frame.........here the lens does better on the larger sensor even resolving adequately out to the corners.

Bokeh is slightly gritty, but typical for tele-zooms, not better not worse......however onion rings are visible in specular highlights/sparkling water etc.

Typically when birding I shoot at 1/1600 at F9-11 the lens being used most at 600mm.....VC is firmly in the off position.

Since I bought it, it has been my go to lens and I've had more pleasure from it than any other optic I've owned.........

As they say on PZ.......Highly recommended  Plenty of sample images here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

I'm also looking out for the Sigma Sport, if anyone has any propositions. (Klaus?)

Quote: I waited patiently for the promised review here of the Tamron (and the Sigma Sport 150-600mm)....but to no avail...so it gives me great pleasure to give you after 10 months or so of hands on experience my findings of the lens....

Firstly it's very hand-holdable, decently constructed and perfectly adapted to birding and nature photography...

The VC is for the most part very good and hand held shots can be taken at slow shutter speeds at shorter and medium focal lengths, but as Klaus said, towards longer focal lengths it can do more harm than good, I find when shooting a stationary subject it's OKish, but it really comes unstuck when panning, here you are unlikely to get better than 10% of sharp shots. However, it is great help on a tripod where at 600mm vibration of the camera is nicely ironed out to perfect stability.

Sharpness.....From 150-300mm it's very sharp even wide open......300-450mm F7.1-8 and up it's also very sharp....450-600mm F8 is the minimum and F9-13 gives best results...... it still does give very decent results at 600mm.......with a bit of practice.

Autofocus........For a lens in it's price range the AF is fast and more to the point "very accurate" (AFMA set at -2)  it seems to nail the focus 90-95% of the time and reacts quickly to changes....(slight caveat is black birds, it struggles when panning small birds sometimes, this I think is just a short fall F5-6.3 aperture)  

APSc bodies....the lens is tested most on the smaller sensor....where the magnification of image size tests it's sharpness. 

Full frame.........here the lens does better on the larger sensor even resolving adequately out to the corners.

Bokeh is slightly gritty, but typical for tele-zooms, not better not worse......however onion rings are visible in specular highlights/sparkling water etc.

Typically when birding I shoot at 1/1600 at F9-11 the lens being used most at 600mm.....VC is firmly in the off position.

Since I bought it, it has been my go to lens and I've had more pleasure from it than any other optic I've owned.........

As they say on PZ.......Highly recommended  Plenty of sample images here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

I'm also looking out for the Sigma Sport, if anyone has any propositions. (Klaus?)
Great, will recontact the guy, he is selling this lens as part as a package with 16-35f2.8 II Canon 5D MkIII and 70-200f2.8 IS II, if he accepts selling this lens alone will be getting it
Good luck!