Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 18-35 f1.8 or 10-20 f3.5 on APS-C
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here... I have a Nikon D7100 and I am looking for a wide angle lens to replace the 18mm from the kit.

This is more for an architecture / city / landscape use, as well as some interior.

I have heard a lot of things about the Sigma 18-35 f1.8, but how does it rate compared to the Tamron 15-30 f2.8 or Tokina 16-28 f2.8?

Moreover, aren't they too narrow for my use? Since I am on a APS-C, they are equivalent to 22/27mm, wouldn't it be better to go for 10/12mm to get a 15/18mm equivalent?

In this case, what do you guys think of the Sigma 10-20 f3.5, the Tokina 12-24 f4 or the Nikon 10-24 f3.5?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

There are two models of the Sigma 10-20mm, the F4-5.6 and the F3.5 constant. There is slightly differing opinion but the majority vote gives the cheaper F4-5.6 the nod saying it's sharper at the edges.....I have that lens and it gives sharp results but not stellar,  needing F8-11 at the 10mm end to have sharp borders (forgivable at that focal length) ..above 12mm it's fine even at larger F stops......low distortion (moustache 10mm)...good build....flare resistance is fine and it's not expensive!... a useful additional ultra wide lens.

I tend to think FF lenses are very bulky on APSc and often don't achieve their full potential. 
The Sigma I had for a while, as well as the D7100. The lens itself I find outstanding and I only sold it because I wanted to focus on FF. I found some samples on my gallery.

For me the main difficulty, was to get a proper reference to focus on. The frames of the AF points in the finder were sometimes just showing too much to know where the focus would be, especially wide open. And if your don't need "the fastest AF wideangle zoom", you might be better off with a less faster lens? The weighta ns size is also something to consider. Today I have mixed feelings about the combination - not the lens itself, but once I found a very interesting article on DPReview which used the lens together with an EOS 70D (I think, it was a new body with combined phase and contrast AF).

To me it appeared the Canon got more sharp shots than I sometimes had with it although I adjusted AF. Anyway, ever since I would not try Nikon + APS-C + fast aperture + wideangle, except if I could always use LiveView. For mroe details: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-70d/12, scroll down to the heading " With 3rd-party lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM"

If you're thinking to go FF, forget about the Sigma 18-35, but maybe consider a 10-20/3.5 from Sigma or 10-24 from Nikon (I found that also very nice). The others you listed are already FF.

Do you live somewhere where you can rent a lens? That might be a good idea to find out what you like most.

Quote:Hi everyone,

This is my first post here... I have a Nikon D7100 and I am looking for a wide angle lens to replace the 18mm from the kit.

This is more for an architecture / city / landscape use, as well as some interior.

I have heard a lot of things about the Sigma 18-35 f1.8, but how does it rate compared to the Tamron 15-30 f2.8 or Tokina 16-28 f2.8?

Moreover, aren't they too narrow for my use? Since I am on a APS-C, they are equivalent to 22/27mm, wouldn't it be better to go for 10/12mm to get a 15/18mm equivalent?

In this case, what do you guys think of the Sigma 10-20 f3.5, the Tokina 12-24 f4 or the Nikon 10-24 f3.5?

Thanks in advance,

Simon
"replace the 18mm from the kit". Is it not sharp enough? Or not wide enough? My guess is that you probably just don't find it wide enough.

In that case, go for a Sigma 10-20mm f4.5-5.6, or Nikkor 10-24mm, or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. 

Or, instead get a prime: Samyang 10mm f2.8. Only manual focus, but that is not an issue really, for UWA. 
Quote:This is more for an architecture / city / landscape use, as well as some interior.

When I read this "architecture" and "interior" target, I tend to recommend a prime lens or two, as their distortions are often better controlled than the wide ends of zooms, but it depends. The 14-24/2.8 is very low distorting at 18 mm - and still an expensive lens. The Sigma 18-35/1.8 is not really wide enough for interior, and also for tall buildings.
As you can see, we are about two very different lenses.

18-35 is a focal rage extremely useful especially for landscape photography you can't have a camera without this range,in your case it is covered by the kit however remember: 

for interior and tall buildings 1-you don't need f1,8        2- the lens is not wide enough

Thank you all for your feedback, I'll check the Sigma 10-20 and the Tokina since I'd rather go for a f2.8 for interior shootings

a 11-20 just replaced the 11-16 I used to find had a range too narrow, and it's apparently very good

The 18-35, maybe... one day...