Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 APS-C
http://www.canonrumors.com/sigma-50-100m...n-the-way/
http://digicame-info.com/2016/02/50-100m...m-art.html

Sigma have been teasing some "world first" lens for a while, but now there is a claim it is a 50-100mm f/1.8 for APS-C. So it kinda continues their "faster/shorter zoom" range.

Anyone interested in this?

I would note if you apply equivalence, this is near enough a full frame 70-200 f/2.8 but with less zoom range on either end, particularly lacking the longer end.

Side comment: when they started teasing with a silhouette, my prediction was a 72mm filter size, and zoom with maximum focal length >130mm, so I'm wrong on both cases. I was rather hoping they did 70-300 f/4 or similar. Ok, there's still a chance the rumour is wrong but I'm not holding my breath.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
If the silhouette was right, I would think it's very odd to place a tripod foot on a 50-100 lens. Except it would be good for macro - but either fast or macro. Anyway, in a couple of days they will announce it officially and I'm not very interested in discussing rumors yet.I saw what the participants on "Sigma rumors" came up with and some of that "please, please, pleeeeaase, let it be a *** whatever" were so weird that I prefer to wait a bit.

If it has OS and is priced within the 1000$ budget then I will very seriously reconsider moving back APS-C
Wondering how much of the frame will it really cover? As a Canon 1D series user, I'm always trying to find interesting hacks with nominally APS-C lenses. And I'm not alone - a freelance photog I know swears by his Sigma 30mm f/1.4 non-Art... on a Canon 1D Mark III (and he's also considering the 18-35/1.8 just like I did when it was released, but I went the other route and got the slower Canon lens and a 24/1.4 as a consolation).

Others were speculating about an 85-135/2 which would
  • close the mouths of the one s hoping for 85/1.4 or 135/2 Art
  • be super heavy and need a tripod foot
  • be a contrast to their others announcement strategies: 35 and 24/.14 came first, after that 24-35/2
Would I be tempted to get it? I expect it to be as heavy as my whole Fujifilm bag and I still prefer a 85/1.4. Not that I need it for portraits but sometimes to suck in the last photon standing/radiating.

The first lens Sigma Austria introduced at 8.00 a.m is a 30/1.4 Contemporary for Sony E and µ4/3.

[Image: strec29x20.gif]

Didn't exactly make me spill my coffee.

Sigma Austria wants to introduce one new lens each hour until 12 a.m., so I still hope for a pleasant surprise, but so far they just warming up. Will become interesting to compare the fresh Tamrons with the more used designs of the Sigmas. If Tamron keep on with f/1.8 primes they should at least gain a weight advantage. Okay, minus the weight for antishake-modules.

Now I DID spill my coffee: http://photorumors.com/2016/02/23/new-si...-sa-mount/

Hell! This cameras look really great! 39 MP in version H plus a Sigma lens in front of it. Maybe I keep the 150-600 and let them change the mount to Sigma SA.

Slow AF (educated guess, judging by the earlier Sigma efforts which actually have a dedicated lens), low DR (I remember that being an issue for you in former posts regarding Canon, of course), crap "high" ISO, aliasing, not the small form factor of usual mirrorless due to the mirror box sans mirror, RAW conversion woos,  I can totally see the attraction.

It makes a twisted sort of sense to me. They're unlikely to be competitive in manufacturing miniaturisation, so why try? They already have SA mount. As seen for APS-C mirrorless and above, if you want higher end, it gets big fast anyway. Couple with that many DC lenses have a bigger image circle, they may be some advantage there too. The possible downside for lens adapters is the same mount distance as Canon EF, so expect similar compatibility there if you can find someone making an adapter at all.

I have to thank JoJu for "selling" the DP3 Merrill to me last year. Not an actual sale, but for convincing me it is worth looking at. There was something about the rendition that was simply lacking in DSLR output. Even with the limits of Foveon sensors it still has a place as a low ISO camera. I'm less sure that Quattro sensors make as much sense, but I haven't tried those. Never did get a DP3M though, and in a quick look now they're still holding their prices used.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
On the bright side: Maybe the 50-100mm f1.8 will cover APS-H, so it can be used on the new Quattro-H. So that may be good new for you, Rover.

The less bright side: It being a 75-150mm ff2.7 or 80-160mm f2.9 full frame equivalent lens and weighing the same as the full frame 70-200mm f2.8 lenses.

So that means going APS-C with the Sigma f1.8 zooms gives you no weight advantage and less focal range than with a FF body and f2.8 lenses.