Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I miss something?
I still working with old well know equipment and SW tools.

My gear is canon 400D and 50D many lenses from 10….400mm, TS and macro as well. Filters, flashes umbrellas, tripods etc. SW: Adobe photoshop CS5 – good enough for me.

Productivity is not important for me . I’m amateur and I don’t make many pictures. I follow the Ansel Adams advice - twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop

Resolution wise I’m happy with 10..15MP cameras. I prefer to make small Mona Lisa pictures instead of McDonalds – big mac billboards.
Visiting photo exhibition I have seen many bad pictures. Unfortunately the bigger size makes them even worse.

I know that in this forum are  many and good technical experts.

My  questions are

Do I miss something?

Do I need to upgrade something - gear or SW tools?

No, miro, use the tools you have and you feel confident with.

Do you miss something? You can only answer that question yourself. If your current gear allows the results you're looking for, the answer is most likely "no". Unless you're a gear junkie who enjoys having gear just for the sake of owning and playing with it (nothing wrong with that, IMO).

Similare situation here, btw. I mostly still rely on the D3x, which is certainly an outdated camera. For editing (and Imatest) I still use a Mac Pro 3,1 from 2008 (a dinosaur, really), attached to a 30" Cinema Display (which was built before LED backlights were common).

I do have some new gear, too, yes, but I usually only buy something new when I either really need it... Or really want it Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote: 

My  questions are

Do I miss something?

Do I need to upgrade something - gear or SW tools?
Yes to both.

You are missing a Nikon camera. A full frame actually. In fact a D600.

Absolutely fantastic. Almost as good as a D800. I highly recommend it.

Oh, I have one to sell, seriously.
The Mona Lisa painting you refer to measures 77 cm × 53 cm... Not too small.

Can't comment on the images you have seen in exhibitions, so I can't say if you miss something or not.