Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ultrawide full frame lens for canon
I know there are many choices but, since I don't make a living out of photography, I can't justify high prices.

It doesn't really matter if it is a prime or zoom

First lenses that came to my mind is tokina 16-28 f2.8 also some manual focus 14mm f2.8 lenses, but I am nit a big fan of manual focus, so I feel like dropping this option

It makes me crazy when I think that once I used to own Sigma 20mm f1.8 and Sigma 14mm f2,8 and I sold them very cheap...

16-35/4L IS and you're set.

I would 2nd this. The 16-35/4L IS is the best there is for Canon EF.

Honestly I would stay away from third-party vendors unless we are talking about Sigma or Zeiss.

The Sigma 20mm f/1.4 ART may be worth a thought (soon to be seen in the local theater).

Looking forward to it  Wink the Sigma, I mean.

My prejudice: very sharp in the center wide open, high resolution, borders at f/2.8 not much better than Nikon 14-24/2.8. Definitely the sweet spot of that lens is less "wide-angle" or "high resolution", but more "fast and sharp at low light situations, with sufficient DoF". And since it's much heavier than the 24/1.4 and has no filter threads, the value of this great lens gets some question marks.

One is the weight, another the AF capability of the whole system (body and lens with PDAF  :unsure: ), another the size. Very special piece of glass and more like an "Yes, we can make a f/1.4 ultrawide".

Just tried tokina 16-28 f2.8 and it seemed more like a prime with its very limited zoom range, it's bulky and heavy, with a protruding front element.....

Quote:Just tried tokina 16-28 f2.8 and it seemed more like a prime with its very limited zoom range, it's bulky and heavy, with a protruding front element.....

I'd say that protruding front elements are actually something good in terms of achievable performance at such extreme settings.
Canon 16-35 is double the price, I am reconsidering the samyang 14mm f2.8 however I am not sure how easy would it be to manually focus using this lens, only if I didn't sell those lenses six years ago..
That Samyang 14mm has an even more protruding front element, and only offers 14mm where the Tokina is more flexible.

Quote:...however I am not sure how easy would it be to manually focus using this lens ...

It really depends on what you are going to use the lens for.

Once you have figured out where infinity really is (note, that

the correct setting for infinity is not neccessarily at the point

where the infinity mark is on the scale) and if you additionally

know the 1mtr point ... the rest is quite easy.

For moving subjects this lens isn't really usable.

The 14mm Samyang has quite a bit distortion which needs to be

corrected if you're using it for anything with straight lines ...

nevertheless this is usually not a problem (but depending on the

SW you use for processing your images).

Deleted